Tuesday, September 16, 2014

2 weeks in, the beginner vegetarian

I did not become a vegetarian for my health...
Yes I'm fat... My whole life seems to have been defined by the consumption choices I have made.
I was a skinny kid
I was an overweight kid
I was an obese teen
I was a skinny teen
I was an overweight teen
I was a skinny adult
I was an overweight adult
I was a skinny adult
I was an obese adult
And now...
I am... Trying

But even in the word trying I find vast flaws of "maybe just one," or I'll start Monday.
It wasn't until a few weeks ago that I realized that when Monday came, Tuesday wasn't so far behind.
How bad could starting on Tuesday be?  Well once Tuesday is over, you're closer to next Monday, and thus begins the cycle.

So... I started on a Wednesday.

This was no ordinary "Monday" start, as I knew this had been building up for some time now.
I decided to become a vegetarian not only because of my constant flux with weight gain and loss; but more because it is the right thing to do.
I've worked for whole foods market for 4 years now, and in that time I have been seriously educated of animal welfare and safety.
But... Even those farms that practice humane, and ethical standards still make us city boys cringe a little when we learn where are meat comes from.
Besides, in an industry where all the windows are closed, one can only imagine the sights one would see once seeing the transparency of humane killing.

"If slaughterhouses had glass walls, everyone would be a vegetarian."

Am I trying to preach and convert you?
No... Well yes, but no...

I do however have a movie set if anyone is interested, they are good documentaries and all available on netflix.

Food inc.
Hungry for change
Fat, sick and nearly dead
Vegucated

And not on netflix (too new)
Fed up, available to rent on iTunes or wherever you rent your movies.

Stay tuned for more about my journey, my juicing for over a week experience, my first meal after juicing and the story titled where to go from here.


Thanks for reading

Devon A

#vegetarian, #life changer, #new beginnings, #wholefoods, #eatmoregreens

No comments:

Post a Comment